On January 1, 2020, the regulations governing the practice of home inspection in New Jersey were revised as part of the State’s normal regulatory updating mechanism. One of the changes modified the existing mandatory continuing education unit (CEU) requirements:
- The CEU regulations in effect up until December 31, 2019, required a total of 40 CEUs to be obtained during the license period, 9 of which were mandated as 3 CEUs of Ethics, 3 CEUs of Rules & Regulations, and 3 CEUs of Report Writing. A maximum of 20 CEUs could be taken online/remotely.
- The new CEU regulations effective January 1, 2020, require a total of 40 CEUs to be obtained during the license period, 8 of which are mandated as 4 CEUs of Ethics, Rules & Regulations and 4 CEUs of Report Writing. The 8 mandatory CEUs must be taken in person; the balance can be taken in person or online/remotely.
- These CEUs can be acquired through any combination of approved courses – they do not have to be taken in one 3 hour or 4 hour class.
- Because the regulation change occurred during the middle of a licensing period, licensed home inspectors in the state can choose to meet the old 9 CEU requirement or the new 8 CEU requirement.
- Due to the pandemic, the HIAC will accept all 40 CEUs online/remotely for this license period.
At the January 2020 Board of Directors meeting last year, the NJ NACHI Board decided to continue to provide education options that would allow our membership to choose either path.
- If you attended the 2019 Holiday Party (3 CEUs Ethics) and the December 2020 Rules & Regulations webinar last month (3 CEUs Rules & Regulations) you have fulfilled BOTH the 3+3 CEU requirement and the 4 CEU requirement for Ethics, Rules & Regulations, and you do not need to take any further Rules, Regulations and/or Ethics classes.
- If you attended one of the three 2 CEU Report Writing meetings given prior to March of 2020, then you will need to attend one of the two upcoming 2 CEU Report Writing class to fulfill BOTH the 3 CEU requirement and 4 CEU requirement for Report Writing.
At the January 2021 Board of Directors meeting this week, the remaining license period education schedule was finalized. The schedule can be found in the pane to the right.
InterNACHI also has a FREE Code of Ethics course that has been approved by the NJ Home Inspection Advisory Committee for 1 CEU
- If you have not received any Report Writing CEUs this license period, then you can meet either the 3 CEU or 4 CEU requirement by taking both upcoming Report Writing webinars in February and April.
- Those on the 4+4 track could combine any 3 CEU class from NJ NACHI (2019 Holiday Party, December 2020 Webinar, March 2021 Webinar) with the InterNACHI course to meet the 4 CEU requirement (but not the 3+3 CEU requirement).
DID YOU KNOW
Several educations providers in addition to InterNACHI have affiliated with NJ NACHI to assist you with your CEU requirements. Click on the Affiliate Directory above.
We hope this clarifies any confusion regarding the mid-license period change in mandatory CEU requirements. Feel free to write NJ NACHI with any other questions.
PLEASE NOTE: Beginning with the May 2021- April 2023 licensing period, home inspectors must obtain 4 CEUs of Report Writing and 4 CEUs of Rules, Regulations & Ethics.